Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Kashmiri Quatrain

Whether my words have meaning tomorrow, Tomorrow's critics will decide; But I’ll find the gushing waters eternal If they relieved you of present pain. Translated by Trilokinath Raina
Shadows: Give up questioning your destiny and hope of eternity, if you can get hold of a few moments, enjoy them... Opening the eyes exposed my dreams to the evil eye. Many surging vernal breasts became scorched wilderness. Take a look around and you see a sizzling fair, Reckon a thought and a lone crow in the void. The days gone by i longed to create stars; I wrack my brains now to give myself a name. All beliefs are like withered greenery on the uplands, All consciousness is like an infuriated serpent. All gods are mine own shadows, All monsters like my animated self. Halls appear to be furnished with the gibberish of monkeys, Comb the forests to robe saints. What kind of steering and whither the shore, The boat is drifting unguided in the dark. O danseuse, circle round him disrobed. Abdul Rahman Rahi, Kashmiri writer-poet, winner of Jnanpith Award 2004

No comments: